Monday, December 1, 2008

Divine Love

Translation of one stanza of the song Alaipayuthe Kanna.

This is a devotional song composed by the saint cum music exponent Oothakadu Venkata Subbiyer, who lived in the 18th century. It is addressed to Lord Krishna and the form of address is personal and full of love.

This is a very inspiring song for me. I thank Meena for introducing me to this and Neeru for helping me understand this stanza in particular based on which I composed the English interpretation. Even so I dont think it can ever capture the beauty and devotional love of Venkata Subbiyer's composition.

theLindha nilavu pattappagal poal eriyudhae
dhikkai noakki en puruvam neRiyudhae
kanindha un vaeNugaanam kaatRil varugudhae
kaNgal sorugi oru vidhamaay varugudhae


Even in a serene coolness, your passion sets me afire
My eyes ever turn to wherever you might be
Every whiff of breeze bears your melodious voice
Even with eyes closed, you do not let me be free

3 comments:

Athena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Athena said...

'Even with eyes closed,you do not let me be free'

Beautiful sentiment of bondage in love.

I am a fan of 'Virahinis' as we call them in Marathi.Sant Dnyaneshwar's and Meerabai's verses of separation are particular favourites.I also happened to read some verses by the Kashmiri Sufi saint,Lal Ded which are absolutely mind blowing.

buddy said...

wohhh
lovely!