Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Shiva Tāṇḍava Stotram - 13

kadā nilimpa-nirjharī-nikuñj-koṭare vasan
vimukta-durmatiḥ sadā śiraḥ-stham-añjalim vahan |

The celestial river flowing nearby, when shall I dwell, in a jungle cave secluded
Freed off all evil mental habits, when will I bow to the Lord, with hands folded

vilola*-lola-locano lalāma-bhāla-lagnakaḥ
śiveti mantra-muccaran-kadā sukhī bhavamyaham || 13 ||

Free of rolling lustful eyes, with Śiva's sacred mark on my forehead
When will I find happiness in the Name of Śiva ceaselessly chanted

* Note
"vilola" - most versions have mentioned the word "vimukta" instead of "vilola", while there are some version including the one from where I learnt use the word "vilola". While "vilola" and "lola" mean pretty much the same i.e. rolling, wayward, so it may seem that using the word "vimukta" i.e. becoming free is more apt in terms of meaning. But "vilola" is fitting the rhythm of sound better than "vimukta". I have chosen to keep the word "vilola", but the meaning I have given is considering the word "vimukta" was there i.e. freeing one from waywardness. 


No comments: