Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Sun

"Suraj hoon, zindagi ki ramaq chhod jaunga
Main doob bhi gaya toh shafaq chhod jaunga"


The grand opening lines of title music of the mega-serial "Akbar the Great" telecasted on Doordarshan in the 90s. The title music is rousing and majestic. It truly raises one's spirits - hail Naushad!

The Sun I am, the seeds of life I shall sow
Even as I set, will leave behind an afterglow

Originally blogged this on 7th July 2010, today on 18th November 2018, I am adding a slight change to this translation.

"shafaq" means twilight in Urdu, so the second line is pretty correct. But "ramaq" means the last gasp of breath of a departing soul. So I translate thusly:

The Sun I am, I shall leave some sign of life
Even as I set, there shall remain the twilight

Still looking for the complete original soundtrack of Naushadji from "Akbar the Great"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the verse. Could you please tell me who is it by?

Anonymous said...

Terribly sorry for the hasty reading...I just reread and found Naushad! Thanks, sorry and cheers!

HRK said...

But I remember it was recited at beginning of Serial Tipu Sultan

Kartik Srinivasan said...

It was in the title music of "Akbar the Great" directed by Akbar Khan.
Unfortunately the full version of that music is not available on Youtube or anywhere else. It's only an edited cut-short version. Does anyone know where to find it. The music still rings in my ears, when I try to remember it.

Unknown said...

I also remember that beginning of serial tipu sultan