Saturday, August 9, 2008

Women are a labyrinth

Lately I saw an interesting film - The Cable Guy, starring Jim Carey as the Cable Guy and Matthew Broderick as Steven..the script has some interesting quips, especially when the Cable Guy picks out inspiring philosophical one liners straight out of TV shows...sample these

CABLE GUY
So, you're pretty love struck about your
lady, huh?

STEVEN
I miss her. I asked her to marry me, and
she asked me to move out.

CABLE GUY
I hate that.

STEVEN
She said she felt pressured. Can you
believe that?

CABLE GUY
Women are a labyrinth. Can I be frank? I
don't think you listen to her. I think
you try to tell her what she wants to
hear. She wants you to thirst for
knowledge about who she is. All the
complicated splendor that is woman. When
your love is truly giving, it will come
back to you ten-fold.

STEVEN
You're right. That is remarkably
insightful.

CABLE GUY
Yeah, it was Jerry Springer's final
thought on Friday's show.

CABLE GUY
You know what? Women are suckers for
"Sleepless in Seattle." It's on HBO this
month. That's your bait right there.

STEVEN
Robin loves that movie.

CABLE GUY
They all do. Next time you talk to her
tell her you're cooking yourself dinner,
and watching it by yourself. Sound like
you're happier than a pig in shit.
She'll come running. Betcha. Then just
play it cool.

STEVEN
Maybe I will.

IN THE COFFEEHOUSE - NEXT DAY

Steven and Robin are talking. Robin does not look happy to see him.

STEVEN
I don't listen to you. I pretend to
understand but I'm really just saying
what I think you want to hear. So from
now on I'm going to try my best to listen
more because I do love you and am
interested in learning about every detail
about the complicated splendor that is
you.

Robin looks at him, somewhat shocked.

ROBIN
Oh.

STEVEN
I want us to get back together, but I can
see why taking this time might be good
for us. So, I'm not mad.

After a long beat, Robin smiles.

ROBIN
Sometimes time apart is healthy.

STEVEN
You're right. Well, that's what I came
here to say. Look, I've got to get back
to the office.

He starts getting up.

ROBIN
So, are you doing anything tomorrow?

STEVEN
I'm just going to cook myself dinner and
watch a movie. "Sleepless in Seattle" is
on cable.

ROBIN
Really?

STEVEN
If you're around you should drop by and
check out the new apartment.

ROBIN
Okay, maybe I will.

Before this Steve had invited Robin to his apartment for celebrating a big achievement in his job and she had refused then. Wanna read more, here's the link...
http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/c/cable-guy-script-screenplay-apatow.html

PS - whats this thing about "Sleepless in Seatle", havent watched it, guess I should

5 comments:

काय चालूये.. said...

hehehehe.. Sleepless in Seattle.. Its the English Version of Kuch Kuch Hota hain.. Rather, KKHH is plagiarized from SIS..

Yea, women love KKHH too, hence it is just that they should love SIS as well..

Kartik Srinivasan said...

thks for enlightening me on this subject :D ... havent seen KKHH too

Perv Cookie said...

What, is that a blatant attempt to tell the chicks out there ur a sensitive guy? :P

Kartik Srinivasan said...

na...that I am nerdy like the Cable guy who spouts corny lines straight out of sitcoms

Shawn said...

Sleepless in Seattle is okay ... there are many much better love stories though, I must say.

My best to you and this blog.