Monday, September 13, 2010

Chinna Kannan Azhaikiran

After a long time, very accidentally found this rare elusive video of one of my most favorite songs - Chinna Kannan Azhaikiran from the film "Kavi Kuyil" (1976)...music composed by the maestro Ilayaraja and sung in a sweet ethereal voice by Balamuralikrishnan...the lyrics are the most touching, i feel they touch my soul - I dont understand them fully, yet I am so fascinated by them!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xei5wj_chinna-kannan-azhaikiraan_creation

"Nenjil ulaadhum raagam
Idhu daana kanmani raadha
Un punnagai soladha adhisayamaa
Azhagae Ilamai rathamey
Andha mayana leelayil mayangadhu ulagam"


Somebody please help me understand these lines.

My understanding:

Is this the melody of my heart
Tell me ye apple of my eye.
Ye youthful, beauteous nymph
Even the world is swayed by your charms.

3 comments:

prashanth said...

I think more accurate is something like,

"Is this the raaga which is sung within your heart, dear Radha?
(repeat)
Is there any wonder your smile alone cannot bring?
O beauty, youth
In these magician's hands, the world spins...."

I can try to translate the whole thing if you wish.
Cheers

Krishna said...

Please do, sir! :)

Kartik Srinivasan said...

I agree with Prashanth, when I translated the song first, my understanding of this stanza wasn't accurate.