Thursday, September 23, 2010

About Chinna Kannan Azhaikiraan

I don't what is it about this song - every time I hear it, its as if a thrill courses through my nerves - what is it about the music, its delectable notes, about its lyrics, the imagery, Srivedi expressing a pathos which shall pierce the heart of a rock - dunno what it is. Certainly being an illiterate in music, I can't express what it is about the music that affects me so. Hence it was great to come across this article, which explains in some detail what is special about the music composition of this song.

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-articles/movies-08/ilayaraja-28-01-09.html

From the wiki article on this film - Kavikkuyil, I came to know that the lyricist of this film is Panchu Arunachalam.

I wish I knew who played the flute - he is as great for this song as the maestros Balamuralikrishna and Illayaraja.

4 comments:

Krithika Iyer said...

Was surprised when ur blog came up wen i searched for Chinna Kannan Azhaikkaran, woh bhi pehle page pe! :P

After i figured out what it was about Thalayai kuniyum thamarai, that had me enamored, i decided to give your first choice a better hearing..

Kartik Srinivasan said...

And what was the result?
Yeah, am one of the biggest fans of this song around - have a few posts on blog on this song alone :P

Krithika Iyer said...

i like Thalayai kuniyum thamarai, for the modulations in the song, the interplay between various instruments, and also both the singers.

Chinna kannan sounds soulful, straight from the heart.... moving by its simplicity..

Kartik Srinivasan said...

you've hit the nail on its head
both songs are beautiful in their own way. It depends on mood - these days I listen to CKA more than TKT.