Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Musical Ear?

I made a wonderful discovery just now. 4 Hindi songs, which are very very special favorites of mine - I mean they are part of some ten select songs or so, which never fail to move me...I so love listening to them...and the discovery is that these 4 songs are based on the same raga.

1. Dil mein tujhe bithake from Fakira
2. Kuch dil ne kaha from Anupama
3. Nainon mein bhadra chaaye from Mera Saaya
4. Kismat se tum humko mile ho from Pukaar

Other good songs on the same raga are "Khiltey hai gul yahaan" from Sharmilee and "Tum mile dil khile" from Criminal...and the raga is Bhimpalasi. Actually I got interested when I listened to a ghazal by the Pakistani singer Tahira Sayeed on this raga. Her voice was haunting making me listen to it again and again...but I knew there was also something about this raga. It just attracted me. Then I did a research and found that there are whole lot of songs which I dearly love, which are based on this raga.

Same is the case with another raga called Reetigowla. There are a few Tamil songs based on this which I listen to again and again. Everytime I listen to them, its like I just get inspired. These songs are

1. Chinna kannan azhagiran from Kavi Kuyil
2. Thalayai kuniyum Thamaraye from Oru oadai nadiagirathu
3. Sudum Nilavu from Thambi
4. Kangal Irandal from Subramaniyapuram

Now I do not have any musical training or understanding or ragas, yet my ears, my heart or something very sensitive inside me really knows what it wants to hear and when I listen to that melody, I just get enthused, inspired, engrossed and energized. Like a moth I get attracted to the flame and burn. I guess music is just a language that everyone understands though there are a privileged few who are accomplished enough to speak it.

8 comments:

Athena said...

I share your fascination with Naindon mein badara chhaye and kismat se tum humko mile ho.

Krithika Iyer said...

I have recently been enchanted by 'Kuchh dil ne kaha'. It's simply beautiful and beautifully simple :).

Kartik Srinivasan said...

Thanks for your comment. It has made me reread this post after ages and I'm surprised with how emotionally I seem to have written this post.

Kuch dil ne kaha is very beautiful, somehow haunting in nature :-)

suma said...

Me too, i am just haunted by Pukar song.

Anudutt M S said...

Also the new song from Padmavat. Naino wale ne

Kartik Srinivasan said...

Yes, I like this song too. It has been sung and picturized also quite beautifully!

Unknown said...

I rate kismat se tum most difficult composition composed by rehman so far compared to other songs mentioned here

Kartik Srinivasan said...

Personally I like all the songs mentioned above, but among the Hindi ones, my favorite would be "kuch dil ne kaha" - it's haunting music gives me goosebumps everytime I listen to it - great combination of Hemant Kumar and Lataji